HCC Honors English 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paige Dolinski

4 posters

Go down

Paige Dolinski Empty Paige Dolinski

Post  Paige Dolinski Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:55 pm

I've been trying to specify my topic, but at the moment I'm still pretty undecided about it...
With my last two papers, I focused on the internet and how in most cases, it isn't the ideal way to absorb information - and the reading assignment for Tuesday touched on that, and neurology, which really clicked for me, so I'm thinking about incorporating how it affects the brain/learning processes.

One aspect of it I'd love to explore would be the differences in Europe and America involving technology and the mindset of the Millennials there versus here...but I'm not sure how much research there'd be of that.

All in all, the topics that stand out to me have to do with technology...it's accelerated and, in doing so, has deeply affected our generation, so I feel there's a lot of information out there, but narrowing the topic is with what I'm having trouble.

Paige Dolinski

Back to top Go down

Paige Dolinski Empty Re: Paige Dolinski

Post  Fred Cooksey Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:14 pm

I only have time for a quick response, but I would suggest that you start by seeing what you can find about European and/or British responses to technology in education. Are they incorporating tech in similar ways to us? Are the same questions being raised? Are students there having trouble with distraction? My first question is whether or not schools there are jumping on the tech bandwagon the same way many of our school districts are. (Also, I guess you'd want to figure out what age group to focus on -- college students or younger?)

A simpler question, equally intriguing to me: Is there a Millennial Generation in Europe/Britain? Do generational features obtain across cultures, and if so, to what degree?

Maybe we could use your topic(s) to practice for the research methods test tomorrow....

Fred Cooksey

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin Sylvester Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:49 am

I just did some searches to find the world rankings for education, Finland and South Korea top most of the various lists I found. One place to look might be to find out how much technology those two countries are incorporating into their education. Any policy changes over the last 20-25 years would have had a direct effect on Gen Y in those countries.

Mr. Cooksey asked if the generational divide is as defined outside of the U.S. I would say that the age group exists regardless for comparison purposes. You might end up having a hard time finding data if you constantly have to contrast what generation a teen in Poland belongs to versus a teen in South Africa. Their culture may dictate divides that won't make sense to us out of context.

Kevin Sylvester

Back to top Go down

Post  vedamariebleau Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:17 pm

I really like your idea of comparing different cultures and how they view and incorporate media into education.

I think that it would be interesting to read about because i mainly know and read about American education and media so maybe it would be interesting to see if the typical stereotypes of Millennials carries over to other cultures.

vedamariebleau

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum